Bat Oreo Cookies
Makes 28 sandwich cookies
Prep time 10 mins
Bake Time 8 -10 mins
This is essentially my Easy Homemade Oreos recipe but I changed the filling and my cookie cutter. These Halloween-themed treats are filled with pumpkin pie frosting.
For the Cookies:
1 stick of soft butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dutch cocoa powder (can also use regular baking cocoa powder)
1 3/4 cups of flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Bat cookie cutter
**** Black food coloring (optional, only recommended for darker cookies if using regular baking cocoa. In fact, do not use with dutch cocoa powder. The dutch cocoa powder makes very dark cookies by itself). For this post, I used dutch cocoa powder. In my Easy Homemade Oreos post, I used baking cocoa and black food coloring. Can you spot the difference?
For the Pumpkin Pie flavored frosting:
3 ounces of cream cheese
1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
2 1/2 -3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
Orange food coloring (use if you want a more vibrant color, depending on your pumpkin puree color)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar for 1 minute on medium speed.
3. Add the vanilla extract and egg, and mix for another minute
4. In a separate bowl sift together the dry ingredients.
5. Add it to the mixer and mix till it is all combined. Add a few drops of black food coloring if desired (see*** above) and mix to combine.
6. Roll batter over a smooth surface that is generously dusted with cocoa powder or between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll Oreo thin, about a 1/4 inch or less thick.
7. Cut with a small round cookie cutter and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 mins. Bake until the edges are crusty but the middle is still soft but set.
8. Let cool completely on a cooling rack.
9. Make the frosting by mixing the cream cheese in a mixer for a minute. Add vanilla extract and then all the other ingredients of the filling, a little at a time to prevent spills.
10. Combine until it is nice and smooth. Transfer to a piping bag
11. Frost your cookies and make a delicious cookie sandwich. Enjoy with a glass of milk.