Lofthouse St Patrick's Day Cookies Copycat Recipe
Updated: Nov 14, 2021
Prep time - 10 mins
Bake time - 8 mins
Makes 18 cookies
These are very much like the store bought version but with better quality and taste because they are homemade! I am so proud of this recipe. I studied many other copycat versions and non are as good as mine. I get the texture and taste. I achieved this recipe using a lower bake temp, eggwhites only, powdered sugar, cream cheese and cornstarch. I am addicted to baking this easy recipe!
For the cookies:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter
4 oz cream cheese
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract *
1/2 tsp almond extract *
For the frosting:
1 stick of butter
2 to 2.5 cups of powdered sugar
1 -2 tablespoons of milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* You can use just 2 tsp of vanilla extract total instead of both vanilla and almond extract.
Cream the butter in a mixer for 1-2 minutes.
Add the cream cheese and mix for another 1-2 minutes
Add the powdered sugar and continue mixing
Add the egg whites and mix.
In a separate bowl sieve the dry ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combine.
Add the vanilla and almond extract, mix. At this point, you will have a delicious batter.
Wrap in plastic wrap, flatten and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight,
When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. On a well floured surface, roll out the cookie dough and cut with your favorite cookie cutter. For frosted cookies, I use the traditional circular cutter. For the sugar sprinkled ones, you can use different shapes. for St. Patrick's day, I did a clover leaf.
11. If you are using sprinkled sugar, add before baking.
12. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it. You don't want to over bake, but you also don't want to underbake it. Baking for just the right amount time will prevent any browining, just like the ones in the store.
13. Make the buttercream frosting. Cream the butter until it is light and airy. Add the powdered sugar and mix. Finally, add the vanilla extract and milk. Add enough milk to reach desired consistency.
14. Fit a piping bag with the largest circular tip you have. Pipe over cooled cookies or just spread over the cookie with a spatula like I did! No fuss this way and tastes just as great.
Here is a closeup of a picture of the cookie structure.