Mini Strawberry Trifles
Yields: Six servings (5 ounce cups)
Prep Time: Variable
Cook Time: Variable
Traditionally a trifle is made with layers of sponge cake (soaked in Sherry), fruit jam, fresh fruit, custard, and whipped cream. I make mine very traditional except that I skip the Sherry.
The delicate layers combine for a perfect bite with each scoop. Traditionally, a trifle is made in a large glass bowl but I really like these mini versions because everyone gets a little cup of deliciousness.
2 1/4 cups of custard - I make my Creme Patissiere recipe using only 1/2 the cornstarch
2 cups strawberry jam
2 cups cubed fresh sweet strawberries
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoon sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup self rising flour
Notes: Although I prefer to make mine using homemade ingredients, you can speed up the process by using pre-made angel food cake, vanilla pudding in place of custard, fresh strawberries, store bought strawberry jam and whipped cream.
Make the sponge cake:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place 2 large eggs in a large bowl and add 1/4 cup of sugar and begin whisking on high until you get the froth to hold ribbon stage. It should take at least 5 mins.
3. Sift in 1/3 cup of self rising flour and mix in on low speed until just combined but no powder remains. Pay attention! Do not over mix to ensure that you do not lose all the air in your sponge mixture. This is very important for this sponge.
4. Pour into a well greased 8x8 inch pan
5. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Take out and let it cool while you complete the other components.
7. Make the whipped topping by whisking heavy cream and sugar together until peaks form.
Assemble the trifle:
8. Cut the sponge cake into small cubes.
9. You have some leeway here on deciding which order to construct the levels of the trifle.
Note: For some I started with a thin layer of jam, then a layer of strawberries. Next came the sponge cake, then more jam and fresh strawberries. The custard is next, followed by strawberries again, more custard and finally topped with a layer of strawberries and lastly whipped cream.
Another I did by starting with a layer of sponge cake, then jelly, fresh strawberries, custard, more jelly, fresh strawberries, sponge cake again, jelly and strawberries, then whipped cream. Like I said, layer as you please.
9. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for up to a day.