Real Pumpkin Pie
Updated: Nov 25
Yield 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 60-70 minutes
I make this with homemade pumpkin puree. This year, I even used pumpkins grown in our garden. (You definitely do not need to do that). Canned pumpkin works great too but for real pumpkin pie, make your own puree ahead of time and freeze it. If you check out my pumpkin puree blog post, you will learn that canned pumpkin puree is actually squash, not pumpkins! So if you want the real deal, your best bet is to make your own puree.
1 and 1/3 cup homemade pumpkin purée
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Egg wash (whisked egg and 2 tablespoon water)
Homemade Pie crust (or store bought)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Roll out pie crust, transfer to pie dish and tuck the edges. Cut decorations from pie crust scraps.
3. Line the crust with parchment or foil paper. Fill with pie weights or beans. Blind bake for 10 minutes. Bake cut-out decorations on a baking sheet as well.
4. Using the whisk attachment, combine all 10 pie filling ingredients above.
5. Pour mixture into the pie crust.
6. Bake for 45-60 minutes. Bake is done when it jiggles as on solid entity.
7. Let completely cool before serving. Decorate with pie crust cut-outs and sugared cranberries. Serve with whipped cream.