Red Velvet and Green Cherries Christmas Bundt Cake
Makes 12-16 servings
Prep time: 20 - 30 minutes
Bake time: 35 - 40 minutes
A beautiful rich red velvet cake with green cherries. True red velvet cake is much more than just red food coloring. Originally, the red color was due to a tint from cocoa powder made by a particular company many years ago. That cocoa powder is no longer available, so those looking to make authentic red velvet cake, use regular cocoa powder and red food coloring. Some red velvet cake recipes do not use cocoa powder. I personally don't consider those to be actual red velvet, but that's just my opinion. I hope yopu enjoy this festive recipe. Happy baking.
For the Cake:
· 1.5 cups self-raising flour
· 1 cup green glazed cherries
· 1 1/2 sticks of softened butter
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1/4 cup cocoa powder
· 3 large eggs
For the Drizzle and Garnish:
· 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
· Juice of 1/4 orange
· 1/2 table spoon honey
· 2 tablespoons of sugar
. 1/2 cup cranberries
. Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Grease a bundt cake baking pan with butter.
3. Measure all the dry cake ingredients except the sugar in a bowl and mix with a whisk.
4. Cut the green cherries into quarters.
5. Thoroughly rinse the cherries until they are no longer sticky. It will take multiple rinses.
6. Drain the cherries and dry properly on a kitchen towel. Toss the cherries in two tablespoons of the mixture from step #3.
7. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
8. Add the eggs and mix for a minute.
9. Add the dry mixture from #3.
10. Combine with the mixer for 2-3 minutes.
11. Fold in the cherries and scoop the mixture into the bundt tin. Shape with a spatula.
12. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
11.Make the icing - mix the icing sugar, orange juice, and water to form a thick paste.
12. Make the sugared cranberries - wash and dry the cranberries. Roll in the honey to lightly coat it themn roll in the sugar. The honey helps the sugar stick to it.
13. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cake. Top with the sugared cranberries.