Prep time: 20 mins
Bake time: 40 mins
Makes 12-18 servings
Notes: This is a fun eye catching cake that is light and delicious. It is a very absorbable sponge so I soak it with a Liqueur. I used lemon liqueur this time but feel free to try others. You can also just soak it in simple syrup. The funky pink drizzle is make with lemon juice but you can also booze that up as well.
It is very easy to make. Happy baking!
For the Cake:
2 cups of all purpose flour
3 tsps baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
5 large eggs
2 teaspoons strawberry extract
3 tablespoons cream cheese or sour cream
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Red gel food coloring
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 cups powdered sugar (approximate)
Pink food coloring
Lemon Liqueur or simple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 10-12 cup bundt pan.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, salt into a large bowl.
5. Add the eggs and continue to mix on medium speed until combined then add the strawberry extract and cream cheese. Continue to mix until all combined.
6. Add the sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt), mix on low to combine until all the flour has been incorporated.
7. Remove slightly more than 1/3 of the batter into a separate bowl to make the strawberry portion of the cake.
8. Add the red gel food coloring to the portion from #7. Add enough to make a pink color of your desired intensity. Add the strawberry extract. Mix on low speed until color is evenly incorporated.
9. Add the cocoa powder to the portion in the main bowl. Mix on low speed until incorporated.
10. Spoon half of the chocolate portion of the cake into the bundt pan. Try to cover the entire bottom circumference of the pan. Next add the strawberry layer and top off with the other half of the chocolate portion. Don’t worry about making the top of the batter flat, we’ll do this in the next step.
11. Hit the bundt pan on the counter top 4 times to even out the batter.
12. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Your cake is done when a knife stuck in the cake comes out clean.
13. Cool for 5-10 mins in the bundt pan then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
14. Make the glaze. Use a whisk to combine lemon juice and powdered sugar. Add enough powdered sugar to make a glaze of medium thickness. Add the food coloring. Should be thick enough to be able to use a spoon to scope it unto the top of the bundt cake and watch it spread/cascade down.
15. Serve a slice of cake and drizzle liqueur or syrup over it. The song readily absorbs the liquid for a delicious moist cake. Enjoy.,