Apple Pumpkin Rose Tart
This is a unique recipe. It was fun to develop. It is great if you really like pumpkin or if you like to experiment with flavors. I used pumpkin powder in the tart crust and tart topping. It has a strong flavor but it is packed with nutrients. It calls for 2 tablespoons of pumpkin powder, up to 1/4 cup depending on how much you like that pumpkin powder flavor.
1 tart crust recipe, substitute 2 tablespoons, up to 1/4 cup, of the flour with pumpkin powder
1 tablespoon pumpkin powder (seperate from above)
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 medium crisp, tart apples
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Deep tray or pan
1/4 cup vinegar
4 cups water
Apple jam or honey for glaze
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare a water bath by combining the vinegar and water in the tray or pan. You will save your cut apple slices here to prevent browing. Cut the apples into very thin slices, ensuring to keep the think slices upright and together when you transfer them to the water bath.
3. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and spread a layer at the bottom of your pie crust like in the picture. Use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the mixture.
4. Arrange the apple slices in concentric circles starting on the outside and working your way in. Save the shorter, thiner more pliable slices for the center. Pre-rolling the slicies may help it stay in place better especially as you work your way towards the middle. The apple slices on the outside whould be laid almost upright, to the same level as the height of the tart crust.
5. Sprinkle some of your remaining powder over the assembled pie then brush some melted butter over it.
6. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes. Cover with foil the first 20 minutes, bake uncovered for the last 10.
7. Let cool and brush the top of the tart with some apple jam thinned with water, or some honey.