Chocolate Stripes and Pineapple Swiss Roll
Updated: Sep 2, 2019
Makes 6-8 servings
Prep time: Approximately 40 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
For the pineapple jam:
20 oz can of pineapples
¾ cup white sugar
For the chocolate stripes:
2 1/2 tablespoons (35 g) salted butter
1/3 cup (35 g) icing sugar
1 egg whites
1/4 cup (40 g) plain flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
For the sponge:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (75 g) sugar
1/2 cup (80 g) self rising flour
For the buttercream filling:
5 1/2 tablespoons (75 g) butter
2 cups (225 g) icing sugar
Splash of milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Pour canned pineapple with juice in a sauce pan and marsh.
2. Add the ¾ cup sugar and bring to a boil for 20 mins, stirring often until jam is thickened - set aside and let cool
3. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Measure out 2 1/2 tablespoons (35 g) salted butter and 1/3 cup (35 g) icing sugar. Cream both together with a mixer then add the 1 egg white and whisk all together.
5. Add 1/4 cup (40 g) plain flour and mix all together.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, mix.
7. Transfer mixture to a piping bag with a ¼ inch nozzle.
8. Have a Swiss roll tin lined with parchment paper. Make sure to butter the top, bottom and sides of both sides of the parchment paper.
9. Pipe the mixture into the Swiss tin, spilling over the sides as shown in the picture. Lay down as many stripes as you desire. You do not have to use all of the mixture.
10. Place 3 large eggs in a large bowl and add 1/3 cup (75 g) of sugar and begin whisking on high until you get the froth to hold ribbon stage. It should take at least 5 mins.
11. Sift in 1/2 cup (80 g) of self rising flour and mix in on low speed until just combined but no powder remains. Pay attention! Do not over mix to ensure that you do not lose all the air in your sponge mixture. This is very important for this sponge.
12. Pour in over the stripes prepped in previous section. Make sure the sponge mixture spreads well over the pipped chocolate by tilting the tin. This takes some effort.
13. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
14. Take out and let cool for 10 mins
Butter Cream filling:
15. Add 5 1/2 tablespoons (75 g) butter to a bowl and mix on high with a hand or stand mixer until the butter is light.
16. Add 2 cups (225 g) of icing sugar in about 4 batches and continue mixing until it combines with the butter.
17. Add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. Continue to mix and add a splash of milk to get the desired buttercream consistency.
18. Have 2 empty cookie trays lined with parchment paper but have icing sugar sprinkled over one of them.
19. Flip the cooled sponge unto the parchment lined baking sheet and peel off the paper lining the baked sponge. Then flip a second time unto the parchment paper with the sprinkled sugar.
20. Steps 18 and 19 are to allow you to get the sponge top side up. This way you can have
your filling spread on the top so that after you roll it, the nice stripped bottom will show.
21. Spread the butter cream over the baked sponge then spread the pineapple jam over this. Be careful not to overfill.
22. Score one short end of the sponge to help begin the rolling process. Do this by making a partial cut 1 inch away from the end of the sponge. Roll tightly, using the parchment paper to protect your fingers from the roll.
23. You have a Swiss roll! Enjoy.