Easy Biscuits and Gravy from Scratch
Prep time: 15 - 20 minutes
Bake and cook time: 12 - 15 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings
My husband makes the best biscuits and gravy. It is 100% homemade and his recipe is very easy. I asked him to share it with my readers and he was so gracious to write it up. I feel that no other biscuits and gravy taste this great. The biscuits are so flaky and the gravy has such rich flavor. I encourage you to make this because once you've had it, you won't want any other.
For the Biscuits:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter
3/4 cups whole milk
For the sausage gravy:
1 lb ground breakfast sausage
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup flour (See method below, you may not need all of it)
3 cups milk (See method below, you may not need all of it)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt with whisk so that flour is nice and fluffy.
3. Use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the flour mixture from step two. Mix in butter with a spoon so that flour mixture has a cornmeal consistency.
4. Add milk and mix with your hand until just combined.
5. Move dough onto floured surface and knead 4 to 5 times. Do not over knead.
6. Flatten dough with hands until about 1”-1 1/2” thick.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400 F and make the gravy while it bakes.
1. Brown the breakfast sausage in a pan; season with salt, black pepper, and cinnamon.
2. Sprinkle flour over the browned sausage by the table spoon. Make sure to stir well after adding each spoonful of flour. This ensures that the flour is properly incorporated. Continue doing this until you have added enough flour to absorb most or all the fat from the sausage. Your pan will be more or less dry after adding and mixing in enough flour. (The more flour the more gravy you will have at the end).
3. Add milk. Continue to simmer and stir until gravy thickens to desired consistency. You will likely have to keep adding small amounts of milk to achieve desired results.
4. Enjoy your amazing breakfast.
Note: If you do not have a biscuit cutter, any cup that is the same size as a biscuit cutter can be utilized.