Makes 6 Servings
Total Prep and Cook time - 30 mins
1 lb ground or chopped meat of your choice
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
½ cup refried beans (optional)
½ onion, chopped
Shredded cheese (Monterey jack or cheddar)
6-10 flour tortilla shells
Splash of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a frying pan, cook ground meat, season to taste with salt. Ground meat will not require extra fat to cook and you will actually have to strain extra fat. If you use chopped meat, you may need a splash of olive oil to cook it.
3. Add the onions to the meat mixture and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the re fried beans if desired.
4. Add ½ cup enchilada sauce. Season as desired with garlic powder, additional salt (if needed), and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat. Set aside.
5. In a separate frying pan with a splash of olive oil, toast the tortilla shells until just before browned.
6. Pour ¼ cup enchilada sauce to the bottom of a baking dish.
7. In center of shells add meat mixture, with small amounts of sour cream and cheese. Roll up tortilla shells and place in a rectangular baking dish side by side until tight.
8. Pour remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle cheese over top of enchiladas.
9. Bake for 15 minutes.
10. Garnish with Cilantro