Prep time:10 mins, Chill time: At least 1 hour (can chill overnight or for days)
Makes two pie crusts (for the top and bottom)
3 3/4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups and 2 tablespoons of water
1 1/2 cup of salted butter (3 sticks), chilled
1. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl using a whisk.
2. Grate the butter into the flour, one stick at a time. After grating each stick, incorporate the butter into the flour with your finger tips only or with a spatula. Repeat with with the second stick and then the third stick. At the end, the flour and butter mixture will have a bread crumb texture.
*The key here to have a nice crumbly crust is to make sure the butter is chilled and avoid over handling. Touch the butter and flour gingerly with only your finger tips or using a spatula.
**Another great option is to use a food processor - add all the dry ingredients into the processor. Cut the butter into chunks (at least 8 per sticks), add to the processor. Pulse until you have a bread crumb texture. Pour into a bowl and continue as below.
3. Initially add 3/4 cup of water and mold the mixture into a ball. Add just enough water until you can form a ball. You may need to use the additional 2 tablespoons of water. Don’t overwork the dough. Handle just enough to make a ball.
4. Divide in half and flatten to a thick disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
5. Roll it out with a rolling pin when ready to use. Sprinkle flour on your table and pin before rolling.