Creme Patissiere (Vanilla Pastry Cream)
Updated: May 2, 2020
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Yields 2 1/4 cups of creme
Creme Patissiere, also known as pastry cream, is a workhorse in pastry making. It is a custard filling that is very similar to pudding but only so much better. It is used in tart fillings like this strawberry tart. It is also used in creme pies, eclairs, choux pastry puffs, and so many other pastries. It is so easy to make, so squash that temptation to buy vanilla pudding and make this super easy and delicious recipe.
1 1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Over medium heat, heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling.
2. In a separate bowl, stir the egg and sugar with a whisk until combined.
3. Stir in the flour and cornstarch.
4. While stirring vigorously slowly add in the hot milk.
5. Transfer the mixture back into the saucepan and to the heat. Keep stirring the entire mixture constantly until it thickens to a pudding.
*** You have to keep stirring to prevent lumps from forming.
6. When it becomes the proper consistency, take it off the heat.
7. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Cover with plastic wrap and let it cool at room temperature.
*** Covering prevents it from developing a skin/coating. It can also be stored in the fridge for several days after it cools. Ensure to stir/whisk vigorously before use.