Perfect Apple Pie
Updated: Jan 13
Prep time 20 mins, bake time 60 mins
7 cups of fresh sliced apples
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 recipe shortcrust pastry
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Roll out the bottom pie crust and place on the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
3. In a large bowl mix the apples, sugar, flour, corn starch, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
4. Pour the mixture over the bottom pie crust.
5. Cover with the top pie crust. You may decorate the top with a pastry cutout. I used a mapple leaf. You can find templates for many different cutouts online.
6. Mix the egg-white with water by whisking. Then, lightly brush over the top of the pie to glaze it.
7. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. This step helps seal the bottom crust to prevents sogginess. Then reduce to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 50 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown and the juices start to bubble out of your drainage holes.
8. Allow to cool on a wire rack on the countertop before serving.